Saturday, March 31, 2007

Change equals no change

The Kiwi dollar is now so debased that they no longer bother with the correct change in shops - so much for the mighty dollar. The systematic destruction of the culture and heritage of the country is a shame. They did it all by themselves. This lament on the wall of the car museum in Geraldine, New Zealand, sums it up:

A Bank officer recently heard the following explanation
for a farmer's financial trouble:

"It all started back in 66 when they changed from
pounds to dollars - me bloody overdraft doubled.

Then they brought in kilograms instead of pounds.
Me bloody wool clip dropped by half.

Then they changed the rain to millimeters and we
haven't had an inch of rain since.

They brought in Celsius, and it never got over
40; no wonder my bloody wheat wouldn't grow.

Then they changed acres to hectares and I end
up with half the bloody land I had.

By this time I'd had it, and decided to sell out.
I got the place in the agents hands when they
changed from miles to kilometres.

Now I'm too far out of town for anyone to buy
the place."

One thing they couldn't afford to ruin was the three foot, six inch gauge railways - I'm glad I got to ride on what is left of them before they too are all gone. See PunchBuggy Passim.

No comments: