Wednesday, December 05, 2007

The Green Monster is gone

David Tremayne pays tribute to Art Arfons. I saw Art perform at the IHRA's All-American Nationals at Bristol International Dragway on August 29, 1971:
"Later in the month I caught the last day of action at the newly formed International Hot Rod Association's championship drags at Bristol International Raceway, Bristol, Tennessee on August 27th - 29th. This super strip facility lies between two mountains in Thunder Valley and after paying $10 entrance fee I was not disappointed with the show. Within five minutes of arrival Art Arfons came to the line with the Super Cyclops jet dragster and hit the five second bracket at over 290 m.p.h. I felt I had already had my value for money, what would they do for an encore?"
More here, here and here. We only just lost Evel Knievel. Where have all the daredevils gone?

No comments: