Monday, March 03, 2008

Boothill express

On Fri night the 'Geek whisperer' came round and we rebuilt the Dell CPi R400GT portable. Reformatted the hard drive and reloaded the operating system, Win 98SE - took 2½ hours from saving data to surfing the web with Firefox. I still need to fix the USB port somehow - needs driver - but the machine performs like new. I christened the machine Boothill - long hill to get it to boot - gedit?
The Geek is going to set up my network later - he gets where I am coming from - "it is like working on a Model T." Some folk have suggested I buy a Mac and forget about crappy old computers but they have all the appeal of old cars for me. I wish I had my old 8-bit Amstrad, with its daisy wheel printer, that served me so well. And the Canon Bubblejet come to think of it.
Update: USB now fixed!

No comments: