Thursday, August 19, 2010

Day 35: Ogallala, Nebraska to Columbus, Nebraska

Depart Ogallala on Hwy 30. We detour onto Interstate 80 due to roadworks and regain Hwy 30 at Sutherland, where we wash more salt off the car in a no-touch car wash. We ride on to North Platte and the Golden Spike Tower. This is allegedly the world's largest rail yard which can be viewed from the eighth floor. Trains are constantly coming and going. $7 for Annette, $6 for me. Only open two years the tower has already attracted 75,000 visitors.
We take a picnic lunch at Gothenberg where we see another Pony Express station and museum, where the ladies tell us about WW2 rationing and current economic troubles - more angst in the heartland. We ride into Overton and a large antique store has a sign "Open on Saturdays" but I notice the door is open so we circle round and in we go. This is Pyrex heaven. I ask the guy if he has any old coffee pot parts and he says come with me - I pick out the spare parts I need from a large box and also score a mint complete percolator for $15.
We press on via Kearney, but no ATM will give me cash. We ride into Columbus and are almost ready to quit town when we spot a Holiday Inn Express - we negotiate the rate down from $119 to $75 plus tax. Free beer and snacks before crashing out.

No comments: